As Texas temperatures start to rise, it’s the perfect time to assess whether you’re maximizing the energy efficiency of your home! Our energy savings tips include daily habits the whole family can implement, as well as bigger home projects that will save you money in the long-term.
Energy Efficient Upgrades
Upgrading to the highest-rated Energy Star products throughout your home can have a tremendous impact on your energy savings. We suggest beginning with an energy evaluation to assess where your home is using and losing the majority of its energy. From that point, you’ll know where you should focus your efforts and your dollars.
- Energy efficient appliances
Your HVAC unit, refrigerator, and washer/dryer all play important roles in your home. If it’s time to replace an appliance, we recommend taking a look at this list of 2019’s most efficient appliances. Each of these appliances delivers cutting edge energy efficiency along with the latest in technological innovation.
- Energy efficient windows
If you’re in the market to replace your windows, there are several decisions to be made — including the frame material, type of glass and coating, as well as the operating type. This guide is especially helpful when it comes to deciding whether to update or replace your existing windows.
- Energy efficient window treatments
While energy-efficient windows AND treatments are the power combination, our Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb shades pick up the slack of outdated windows. The superior design of our Duette® Honeycomb shades traps air in distinct pockets to help keep your house cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Reach out to us if you’d like to discuss installing Duette Honeycomb in your home!
If you’re in the process of picking more energy efficient window treatments, we suggest using the Attachments Energy Rate Council Energy Improvement website to search products and learn how to decide the best option depending on your climate and specific needs.
If upgrading your appliances isn’t in the budget this year, rest assured that you can still do your part to reduce energy usage! Over time, air can find its way in through leaks and cracks in your home. It’s a great idea to periodically check these places throughout your home:
- Properly weather-strip windows and doors.
- Caulk around basement and storm windows.
- Annual Roof Inspection to check for missing shingles and leaks.
- Annual HVAC inspection to ensure air ducts are clear and properly sealed.
- Program your thermostat according to your habits. While it’s nice to come home to a cool living space, that cooling does not need to take place at 8 am. Most homeowners have 3 different settings — one for an empty house, a temperate to come home to, and temperature for optimal sleeping.
- Open your window coverings during sunny winter days to catch free solar heat then close them at night to keep that heat in. Our motorized window treatments give homeowners the ability to automate this habit — just like the thermostat!
The benefits of an energy-efficient home go beyond lowering the monthly energy bill — it also positively impacts your quality of life! At Austinatious, our goal is to help you create a space that you look forward to coming home to at the end of a long day. We’re happy to speak to you in depth about the latest and greatest in window treatment efficiency!